Tuesday 9 August 2011

Water

Oh how I struggled with the guilt of missing hot running water and showers every day. It's a cliche but it's true, we take fresh, clean running water for granted. The shower was freezing cold from a jerry can on the roof that someone carries up their daily. I tried to embrace this cold wake up routine because you have no choice, but it takes your breath away.

It is not until you see the school well constantly pumping clean water out all day for the children that you appreciate what we have got. The school is fortunate to have one of these pumps as the alternative is using the local well where the water is certainly not clean.When I first saw the children collecting water from the community well for their families it really shocked me, it is so brown and dirty,whilst some families will boil the water, a lot don't and cholera is still a big problem in Uganda .On my last visit we saw  a group of children washing their clothes and swimming in dirty, brown water, I don't think it is a sight I will ever get used to.


Daily life


Fresh water


 Would you let your children wash in this??



The consequences
(image: wow.gm)

No comments:

Post a Comment